Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The last 6 weeks....

Well, Berkley will be 6 weeks old tomorrow. Honestly, it feels like it's been a lot longer than that. This transition hasn't been very easy for us...Berkley has reflux and is colicky and we have had many many hours of crying. We started Zantac, which I think has helped a little, but she still spits up a lot and is still pretty fussy. She has to be held almost constantly during the day. You can tell she's just not comfortable, she is constantly squirming and grimacing and you have to keep adjusting how you are holding her. I have stopped eating anything dairy for the last week and a half and am taking probiotics and digestive enzymes to see if anything will help with the fussiness. I am going to talk to the doctor at her 2 month appointment about putting her on Prevacid instead if she doesn't get better in the next week. Luckily, James has been around as much as he can to help out. I sleep in our room with Berkley and James sleeps in Lexi's room with Lexi. Last night, Berkley slept 4 hours straight (from 2a-6a). Yay! Unfortunately, James was up with a sick Lexi from 3a-5a. She has a pretty nasty cough this morning, yuck! Hopefully Berkley doesn't get sick!
I haven't been very good at taking many pictures (I guess that's normal for a 2nd child!), but here are a few from the past month and a half... We are so grateful for all of the dinners, gifts, and help with Lexi...We are so blessed with a great family and friends! We had a great time with my sister Rosie and Corbin, who came to stay with us for the first 10 days of Berkley's life. I was glad to finally meet my nephew Corbin. He is 10 months old and that was the first time I got to see him in person! I guess that's what happens when your sister lives in Canada! Thanks for all your help Rosie!
My mom got here the day before Rosie left, so it was fun to spend a little time with my mom and sister at the same time. My mom stayed for 6 days, which was nice but it's always hard to say goodbye. We really appreciated all her help, and Lexi loved being spoiled by Grandma. She has learned how wonderful Grandmas are; she was watching TV the other day and a toy commercial came on and she looks at me and says "Maybe my Grandma can buy me that!"

Grandma gave Berkley her first "real" bath. It was nice having her here to do all the stuff I don't like to do (and mop my floor and clean my bathrooms)!
Lexi loves loves loves her sister and can't be left out of the action! (even if it's just sleeping!)
Berkley at one month. I love this picture because you can see Lexi's finger at the top poking Berkley's hairbow.
So small in her carseat! She is better in the car than Lexi was as a baby, but she still doesn't care for her carseat and won't stay in it for very long. What a good big sister! She is always asking to hold her sister.
How do you teach a 2 year old about personal space? Poor Berkley, she is constantly being smothered by her adoring big sister! Smiles! I love Berkley's smile...of course we only get glimpses of it here and there in her sleep and sometimes randomly when she's awake. She hasn't started smiling at us yet.

It's crazy to see how much bigger Lexi is right now, because I know it won't last long. Some day these girls will probably be the same size! I constantly have to tell Lexi to not get so close to her sister, and her reply is always "But I love her!"
Such a sweet girl! She has done really well with the new baby transition.
Berkley bathing and spitting up. She always manages to spit up as soon as I have her dressed in new clothes after her bath. Berkley was 9 lbs 6 oz at her 1 month check up. She sure is filling out fast considering how much she spits up! Love baby rolls!
I love how she sleeps with her arms in the air. It looks like shes ready to defend herself!
Lexi was SOOO excited to go to Ethan's Pirate Birthday Party last weekend. She talked about it for days, constantly asking if it was time to go to the party yet. The Packs always have the best parties...The kids dressed up as pirates, they feed them dinner and cake, they had a pinata, a blow up pirate ship to play in, and they went on a treasure hunt to find a treasure chest filled with goodie bags! (Lexi had just woken up and wasn't in the best mood for this picture, but she still makes a pretty cute pirate!)A few weeks ago, Karen, Taryn, Emma, and Nolan came over for a play date. Emma brought all the kids Happy Meals from McDonalds and Karen made a chocolate cake. These kids play so well together, and we really miss seeing Nolan every week!
Karen is an amazing cake maker. (She helped me make the golf cake for James' Birthday a couple years ago.) Lexi is already asking for another baby. No, she doesn't want a different baby...she wants another sister named Berkley. I told her she already had a sister named Berkley and she informed me that she wants 2 sisters named Berkley. She really loves her sister!

7 comments:

Rosie said...

I didnt know Berkley was still so fussy..If you lived closer I would come over and give you a break. Hurry up and move to AZ because it will be easier to get to . Only one flight! I am sure you know that having Berkley sleeping upright will help and I read that thickening feedings help to.

Unknown said...

Orlando was colicky. It was awful. I really don't think there is anything you can do.
That said, if I were to pass on advice, it would be to (at least for Orlando) swaddle them up real tight like a burrito even though they will fight it, and you will think she hates it at first. Also, let her sleep on her belly (just watch her 'cause of the sids thing) but once Orlando learned to roll over, he finallly, finally, would sleep(on his belly!)
Good luck!
Orlando is a great 7 year old, btw!!

Parry Family said...

Your girls are so cute. Good luck with Berkley, colic and spit up was Brynnlee for the first 9 months. Zantac didn't work for her she had to be on zantac and prevacid at the same time. Finally that helped. Hope you are doing well. Love all the pictures

Megan said...

Both of your girls are adorable! I'm sorry, I wish we were close enough that I could come pick up the girls so you could nap!

I love the picture of them laying next to each other - that's a great way to see how they've grown! I have pictures to post on my blog and Abby looks as big as Sandy in the pictures! Wow, it's gone fast!

Perry's said...

Love all your pics, hope you are all feeling better and that you are back to eating your Cheese :) with no problems!!

bj+anne+brody+macie+lucy+ellie said...

love love love the pictures! Your girls are beautiful- no shock, just check out the hot mama

Stacey and Brody Miller said...

Wow, I didn't even know you had a baby until reading this. Congrats. She is beautiful. I love that huge mug...so cute!